Saturday, March 12, 2016

It's a Small World


A few years ago, I met a film-maker through the company I work for.  We did some promotional videos and some internal skits and clips for training purposes.  Our CEO knew this young man Ben Proudfoot, who was going to UCLA film school.  He has a gift for film-making and I'd like to think he enjoyed working with us.  He was also a magician.  He attended some of our holiday parties and formal dinners, and would go table-to-table performing magic tricks.  

I later found out that he had grown up in Nova Scotia in a middle class family and being a magician helped pay the bills while he was in school. He's not what I think of as a typical LA film-maker.  He's down to earth and grateful for the gifts he has in life.  

Since then, I have followed Ben on social media and have watched him advance his career.  Yesterday he sent an email blast, linking his latest short film, with this note:  

Dear Friends,
I met Dan Portelance two years ago in his classroom in Carver, Massachusetts. I've been burning to tell his story ever since.
We teamed up with Vimeo and Charles Schwab to make this 4-minute film: 
https://vimeo.com/channels/ownyourtomorrow/157967716
It is dedicated to those who have the most important job in the world: teachers.
Give it a watch and pass it along to anyone who needs a little fire today.
Ben

Of course I watched it!  What a great story.  If you have some free time and a good internet connection, go to the Breakwater Studios page on Vimeo.com and watch some of the videos.  Stone is a good one, The Ox is also good.  Ink and Paper may be my favorite (so far!).  You can watch them all and choose your own favorite.

And if any of you know Dan Portelance, you can tell him what I'm going to tell Ben - it's a small world!!



No comments:

Post a Comment