Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sew it's Saturday

One of my goals this year was to do more sewing, and to get better at it.  Another was to blog more.  I've seen searching for a sewing link-up to join, but haven't found one that speaks to me.  Until I do, I'll just post Saturday updates on my sew adventures - or misadventures, whichever they happen to be that week.

I started searching around the web and found some online sewing class and also some sewing sites that challenge you to sew all of your clothes for the year.  Well, I didn't do that, but it did get me wondering just how much of my wardrobe I can sew instead of buying.   Especially work clothes - it's all dresses, skirts, tops and jackets.  No rocket science there!

So far this year I've made a few things, but it's been mostly casual clothes.  I took an online course on how to sew knits and have made yoga pants, a t-shirt and a hoodie.  I also made a trench coat (I'll blog more about that later).  

A couple of weeks ago I saw an ad for an estate sale that had fabric and patterns, so we went to see what they had.  Of course the sale started Friday morning and we didn't head over there until Saturday afternoon - but you never know.  It was one of those cute houses in the village of Old Hickory - a little brick ranch with a view of the river.  While we were there the woman in charge of the sale announced that everything was half off the marked price.  They were a couple of hours from being done and the house was going on the market the following week, so they were hoping to get rid of most of what was left.  And there was a LOT left.  I didn't think the prices were too bad, so they must have had a lot of stuff in the house to begin with.  Anyway, I went into one of the bedrooms and found the fabrics, patterns and notions.  The fabrics weren't great.  Some small pieces that would be good for quilting, some home decorating fabrics, and very little apparel fabric.  I got a couple of small pieces but not much.  There was a box of patterns that were marked $2.00 each.  So now that everything was half price, these were $1.00 each - that's a good deal.  So I pawed through the box and found 5 or 6 that I liked and some others that were okay.  On an impulse, I went out in the living room and asked if she would sell me the whole box for $20.00.  She said okay.  So I ended up with this box of patterns.  There are probably close to 50 patterns.  None of them new and trendy, but definitely some usable patterns.  Most are from so long ago that there's only one size in the envelope.  

I mean, who wouldn't like this really groovy pantsuit?

Or this boxy jacket with shoulder pads and a mid-calf pleated front skirt?

I must admit I really do like this dress.  I have a fondness for a comfortable, a-line dress.

But there was also this wrap coat.  How great is this?  Especially for life in the South!

Or even this.  A simple lined blazer and top.  Seriously, there are lots of patterns here I can use.

 There is so much more.  Including some kids apparel and some doll clothes.  Fun stuff.  I'm enjoying looking through them and anxious to dig into them and share my stories with you!  



No comments:

Post a Comment