Saturday, June 21, 2014

I am not a Foodie

In fact, I'm probably the opposite of a foodie.  I'm not sure what that's called.  It's not that I don't like food - I eat.  But I eat for nourishment, not for enjoyment.  So when I rave about a meal, you know it's good.  And dinner tonight, was really good.

I joined a CSA at work (more about that in another post).  Last week was the first week and one of the things in the food package was a bunch of fresh beets.  I've never cooked beets (and neither had any of my co-workers that I asked), so I posted a request on Facebook and got lots of helpful hints and recipes.  Since we were already cooking on the grill, we decided to go with Deb Rebiero's suggestion to sprinkle them with olive oil, wrap in foil, and cook them on the grill for about an hour.  They were delicious!
Another CSA item this week was a whole roaster chicken.  Not too big.  Just the right size for beer can chicken.  If you've never cooked it, you should try it.  You can google a recipe, we don't really use one.
We had green beans freshly picked from the garden earlier today.  I blanched and froze a couple of bags full earlier, but kept out enough to have with dinner.

And a fresh salad.  Leaf lettuce (CSA again!) romaine, spinach, tomatoes, cucumber, celery, peppers - most everything from the farmers market.  Delicious!

Imagine this is a picture of my 
dinner plate heaped full of food.  
Sorry!  I couldn't wait to dig in!!

Oh, and I also made peach cobbler for dessert.  We haven't eaten that yet, but I'll have to let you know it is.  

Ciao!

1 comment:

  1. You and Jim sure like to make me hungry!! I am glad you had a super dinner with all your CSA and garden foods. Love you both.

    ReplyDelete